Are you preparing the way for the second coming of our King Jesus?
Pastor Bob December 19, 2021 Luke 1:67-80
In the past, the Israelites anticipated a great forthcoming event. Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied that:
- God would visit His people. (v. 68)
- God Himself would redeem His people. (v. 68)
- God would fulfill His promise of the Messiah, the Savior (v. 69)
- God would raise up a Horn of Salvation in the house of David (v. 69)
The Horn of Salvation is God’s strength. The word horn used here means strength. God’s strength is beyond His power, though nothing can surpass it. God’s strength is not in His ability to create, though He created the universe. His strength is in His boundless grace, deep love, immovable patience, humbling mercy, and forgiveness.
- Zechariah also prophesied that his son, John the Baptist, will be a herald to the King, proclaiming the coming of the Messiah and preparing the hearts of the people.
John was born with a conscious decision, a purpose, and a calling. He had to deliberately fulfill his purpose on Earth.
- He was to prepare the way of the Lord. (v. 77)
- He was to prepare for the visitation of God. (v. 78)
- He was to give light to those in darkness. (v. 79)
- He was to show the people the peace of God. (v. 79)
We, like John, have the same purpose and calling. We were born with the same conscious decision, to deliberately surrender to God and to accept our purpose and calling. We are heralds of the Lord Jesus Christ’s second coming.